Leo Cheng Suan
He graduated from the University of London in 1988 with a Bachelor of Laws Degree and a Master of Laws Degree in 1991. He became a Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) in 1989, and was admitted to the Singapore Bar in 1991. He is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Prior to legal practice, he had 10 years of working experience with multi-nationals and public listed companies in the areas of aeronautical engineering, management and commerce, international trade, product development and industrial packaging.
He has extensive experience in civil and commercial litigation, including cases involving contractual disputes, tort, building and construction claims, trademarks and patent infringement, passing off, breach of trade secrets and confidential information, management corporations, land disputes, Anton Piller Orders, Mareva injunctions, partnership and joint venture disputes, freight-forwarding matters, insurance claims, industrial and vehicular accidents, defamation, wrongful dismissal, workman’s compensation, employment and restraint of trade disputes, products liability, insolvency, letters of credit, divorces, contested probate matters, tenancy disputes and debt collection. He has also been involved in cases in the Court of Appeal, High Court, State Courts, Strata Titles Board, Labour Court, Arbitration and Mediation.
He has specialist experience in the law relating to Management Corporations, having acted for more than 400 Management Corporations, including handling more than 30 High Court cases involving claims against developers, architects and contractors for building defects including acting for the management corporations of Harbour View Towers, Regent Parks, Valley Park, Casa Pasir Ris, Kew Residencia, Hillview Green, Tannery House, Thomson 800, Cendex Centre, Merawoods, The Hillside Condominium, 11 Amber Condominium, Tessarina, Gallery 8, Emery Point, Sunnydale, Livia, Austville, Beacons Heights, Sheffield Suites.
His criminal law practice covers murder, drugs, rape, outraging modesty, kidnapping, theft, causing hurt, rioting, criminal breach of trust, and corruption.
He served as an elected Member of the Council of the Law Society of Singapore (1994 to 1997, 2001 to 2012), and made the Vice-President for 6 years (2004/2005, 2010, 2012-2014), Member of the Ethics Committee/Advisory Committee (since 1998), the Professional Management Committee (1998 to 2011) and chaired the “PrimeLaw” Committee to implement Quality Award Standards and certification for law firms in Singapore, and chaired “Project School” to acquaint students with basic legal knowledge . He served as an Exco member of the Singapore Academy of Law in 2005/6 and a member of the Professional Affairs Committee/Professional Development & Practice Chapter. He was conferred the PBM award by the President for his public service contribution.
He is also:
• Alternate-Chairman of the Criminal Law Advisory Committee (Hearing) appointed by the Minister of Home Affairs, under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provision) Act (Cap. 67)
• a Senior Teaching Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Legal Education
• a lay member of the Singapore Medical Council/ Allied Health Professional Council’s Disciplinary Committee
• a member of the Singapore Society of Construction Law
• an Honorary Legal Advisor to the Singapore Institute of Valuers and Surveyors
• an Honorary Auditor of the Catholic Lawyers Guild
• appointed Senior Mediator under the Law Society Mediation Scheme
• an Accredited Principal Mediator of the Singapore Mediation Centre, and appointed as Neutral Evaluator
• appointed sole Arbitrator by the Singapore International Arbitration Centre
• Appointed Lead Counsel by the Supreme Court under the Criminal Law Legal Assistance for Capital Cases Scheme (Lasco).
• a Panel Member of the Strata Titles Board
Head of Litigation
DID: (65) 6389 9163
Fax: (65) 6224 2607